Before we start talking about what you need to become a cyber-security leader, we need to talk about a few things every leader should know.
1) According to most experts, a majority of the attacks can be prevented. That means most companies do have the information they need to put the right security measures in place. The question remains whether they will or not.
2) Your email security has to be very powerful, almost impenetrable. How do the threats come through in an email? They are sent through phishing scams. A lot of times, you have someone who is a little innocent in how email phishing scams work. They open the attachment without thinking. Sometimes all the hacker needs are your email list. They can send the attachment via someone you know.
You are not thinking about it because it is someone you know. Be careful before you open something.
3) Attacks will cause lack of trust with your customers. Customers tend to look elsewhere if they feel you are not taking it seriously enough.
Becoming a manager:
1) The first thing you need is to have some kind of academic experience. Now, this information is for those who want to become a manager. There are other certifications available that you can look up to, including becoming an engineer.
The first thing you need is a BA in computer science and IT-related occupations. That will give you a basis for where to start. Those who get related real-world experiences during school will be a step above the game.
2) Now, this next step is for those who want to take it one step further. You will need a master’s degree. The master’s degree will help those who are seeking upper-level management type positions.
The master’s program has to be in categories that include computer science, network security, and cybersecurity. Two examples of this type of certification include Master of Information and Cybersecurity (MICS) and Master of Information or Master of Cybersecurity and Leadership (MCL).
Sometimes you get lucky and can go to the same college for both your BA and Masters. Other times, you will have to enrol in another school to complete your education. Please be aware that there are only a few schools that offer the Master’s certifications.
3) The certification requirements are somewhat more specific. It depends on the level of schooling you want to have.
Here is a list of various cyber security certification needed for those looking to get involved with cybersecurity.
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISM)
- Information Systems Security Management Professionals (CISSP-ISSMP)
- GIAC Security Leadership (GSLC)
Now, keep in mind, that you might not need all of these. Once again, it depends on the level you want to get to. The higher the level you want to achieve, the more schooling you need. Having all of these could guarantee you a high-paying job with a company.
The question is: do you want to spend all the time in school? That is up to you.
4) Now having more than one certification (especially those who choose to go all the way in school) will be of greater value. Companies want someone who can handle all types of situations.
Some of those situations and skills are listed below.
- Information security
- Information systems
- Security operations
- NIST Cybersecurity Framework
- Vulnerability assessment
- Project management
- Network security
- Information assurance
Now, these are just a few areas you need skills in. This gives you an idea of why schooling is very important. Yes, you can get a lot of these skills through learning on the job (if you are lucky to find a company willing to do that).
However, employers want that theoretical experience (which you find in school). The goal is to learn in theory, so you can put it into practice. You need both.
5) The role of the cyber-security leader varies, depending on the type of job you are hired for.
One thing you could be responsible for is managing the forensic analysis if there is a security breach. You will also be responsible for managing the firewalls the company uses to keep their business protected, even recommending suggestions.
6) You will need to know how to minimize damage for cell phone use whether there is a security breach or not.
7) You will be responsible for the various types of encryption the company uses for security purposes.
One Final Note
There is a great shortage of cybersecurity leaders and managers right now. You can feel confident knowing your job will be very much in demand if this is the path you choose.